Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Statues

"What have you done with yourself? What is your major?" Mr. Green asked. And I assumed he only wanted a word for an answer.
"English" I replied.
"English?" His question dripped with a sarcastic jibe. He had pulled himself up to the circulation desk and met my eyes as if to study me. "What good is English?" he continued in his line. "What accomplishment could come from studying English?"
It was at this point of our "conversation" that I realized that Mr. Green did not want an answer from me. He was using his questions as an argument to change my interests toward his own. I was puzzled and my face showed a question that I refused to ask, mainly out of respect. That was: "Who do you think you are?"
Seeing me in a state of silent questioning, he bridged the gap. "I own Aunt Jamima"

He was a statue man.

No comments: